Thursday, October 19, 2006

Gotta love that Sting dude!

Gordon Sumner, better known as former Police frontman and rock legend Sting, that he finds today's rock music, "boring". With his band in the early 80's, Sting penned such classics as "Don't Stand So Close To Me" and "Every Breath You Take". After leaving the band in 1985, he he went solo and basically went downhill. He biggest hits as a solo artist were more the definition of "boring" than anything out today.

I think that Sting, along with fellow 80's icon Bono, should do us all a favor and just go away with what little dignity they have left. Bono, whose own issues with hypocrisy are now front-page fodder, at least has tried to make some decent music recently. Of course, there is a great difference between trying and succeeding, isn't there.

Now, I have nothing against music artists who continue to write and perform into their 50's or even 60's. In fact, some of my favorite musicians and bands are still going strong after all of these years. But what I have a hard time with are those who feel that they have to remain on the cutting edge regardless of how ridiculous they look. For example, I would still enjoy going to see the Eagles or Fleetwood Mac performing, and could even enjoy a few new songs. But go to see the Rolling Stones? Or The Who? Why?

The Eagles and Fleetwood Mac, my two examples above, perform with the understanding that they are clearly older, more mature and therefore, more likely to relate to the audiences they attract. While the Stones are still trying to be teenagers. I can't imagine anything more foolish that watching a 60-year-old Mick Jagger trying to be all pouty and sexy on stage. No, he just looks like your crazy Uncle Bill who was never the same after 'Nam.

I mentioned The Who because I heard that they also have just released a new album. Of course, in their mega-hit, My Generation, it was lead-singer Roger Daltrey who sang the line, "I hope I die before I get old".

While, Rog, ol' pal, you're old. I don't want you to die, but would you please just go away?

Now I have to admit, in a small way, I'm being hypocritical. You see, my all-time favorite band, America, will be releasing their 17th studio album on January 17th. But I can assure you, their songs will remain true to their ages and audiences. Furthermore, while most of these old bands just get together every few years or so (maybe the money runs out?), Dewey Bunnell and Gerry Beckley perform over 200 shows per year and have been doing so for many years. Yeah, they rely on their older material, but that's what their audience wants. I have to say that I've been to many concerts over the years, but I have found the fan base of America to be very loyal and sincere towards the band.

Of course, what the heck do I know? I thought Men At Work would be forever, too!

No comments: