Thursday, March 29, 2007

In the three years that I have been keeping this blog, I have had the misfortune to hear some of the most unfortunate, insane, and utterly stupid things ever said. Most of the dumb comments have come out of Hollywood where uneducated actors and actresses - the very people who are paid to pretend they are someone they aren't - often open their mouths, only to prove that they know less about the real world than most farm animals.

However, in what may be the most narcissistic comment ever spoken by a professional sports personality, Tom Coughlin, the beleaguered coach of the New York football Giants, was asked what it was like to withstand constant criticism last year as the Giants barely made the playoffs in what was supposed to be (in the fan's minds) a Super Bowl finish. His response:

"I hear some of it and I see it. You know (VP of communications Pat) Hanlon tells me about it, what's going on."

Then, he added, "Hitler and then me, in that order. Unfortunate, but it is."

That's right. He compared the way he is treated with the loathing only formerly reserved for arguably the greatest evil villain known in the history of mankind.

If I'm a season ticket holder, or really, just an ordinary supporter of the Giants (which I'm not), I would be both livid and sad. I'd be very upset that this idiot feels so self-absorbed that he could even contemplate the comparison. I'd be sad that the Head Coach of my team is a bitter, unstable man who clearly is in need of medical treatment and is a huge embarrassment to an otherwise storied franchise.

Personally, I'd hate for Coughlin to be fired. He is, after all, perhaps the biggest reason the Giants aren't as successful as they probably should be. It was clear last year that even though they were riddled with injuries and torn up over Tiki Barber's retirement (one that had Coughlin not been the coach, may not have been made mid-season, but after the season ended), he had completely lost the faith of his players and management.

I was surprised that the Giants decided to retain him this off-season. However, if I were a betting man, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a new Head Coach on the Giants' sideline when they open their season September 9th at Texas Stadium.

"Hitler and then me, in that order."

What an idiot.

No comments: