Sunday, May 13, 2007

More tales from Shayne's Truisms...

Why is it so hard for some people to understand that any "one-day" boycott of gasoline would make nary a dent in the profits of the oil companies? After all, whatever gas you don't buy today, you buy tomorrow.

Now if you really want to get a message across, buy a bicycle. Of course, the individual consumer is just a tiny speck in the grand scheme of oil usage.

I don't usually watch Saturday Night Live anymore - in fact, I don't believe I've seen a live episode in 4 years. But I wanted to see Linkin Park perform and since they were the musical act, I watched. And do you know what? I actually enjoyed it. The one skit that stood out was the Presidential debate between the fringe candidates.

It was really well done. Who knew?

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I am 100% pro-legal immigration. But I am 100% against illegal immigration. How dare people who aren't citizens demand rights that are afforded legal citizens. You want the benefits of being a citizen? Become one. Anything less should not be up for negotiation.

Someone mentioned the abortion issue recently while discussing Rudy Giuliani's campaign. I agree it's a complicated subject. Everyone believes a woman should have the right to decide what's best for her. My feeling, however, is that once you have a living being/baby/fetus growing inside you, your rights are divided in two. I don't believe that the federal government should dictate what's best, or right. After all, they often can't get their heads out of their elective rear ends. However, once the child is conceived, I believe the decision should be between both parents, regardless of who it is that carries the baby.

Since I'm on a roll, I think I'll take on another major topic...

I am not anti-gay. I have no concern one way or another about what two people do in the privacy of their own homes. I am, however, against legislation that either defends, limits, defines and dictates homosexual behavior. If someone is discriminated based on their sexual preference, I say it's just too bad. No one needs to know whether or not I like men, woman or sheep, for that matter. It shouldn't ever come up in a job interview or in any other forum.

I am against anyone who feels the need to be outwardly immoral - whether they be an outspoken heterosexual, or a homosexual. If a math teacher does his job and just teaches math, as opposed to teaching his/her sense of morality, than there is no problem.

But once a teacher decides to use his/her pulpit to try to espouse their own political, religious or social beliefs on their charges, then they have no business keeping their jobs. A school is a place to give children the tools to think for themselves. Too many educators, both in lower schools and in universities, overstep their bounds of good sense and taste. Instead of teaching kids to think for themselves, they instead lead them away from it.

This problem is destroying our future generations from the inside out.

No comments: