Saturday, June 30, 2007

There is an issue that has me a bit cranky. It doesn't effect my day to day, mind you. But I have to admit I find it somewhat unnerving. It has to do with, what else, the mainstream media and there undeniable desire to find evil in the conservative sector - where there usually is none.

I'll admit it here. I like Ann Coulter. I know that she pisses off a great many people, but I really don't have a problem with that. Is she insensitive? Maybe a little. Does she come on a little strong? Perhaps.

But I defy anyone to prove to me that she is liar or a hypocrite - two things she has been attacked for being. The recent outrage is over a comment she made regarding Senator John Edwards. According to the deluge of scathing attacks against her, she said that she wished John Edwards was assassinated. Edwards' wife, Elizabeth, even called into "Good Morning, America" during an interview with Coulter to let her know how disgusted she was by her mean-spirited attack on the former Vice-Presidential nominee.

Let me preface by saying I have never cared for John Edwards and could never imagine ever supporting him even if he ran for dog-catcher (or cat-catcher, since I love dogs). Furthermore, I would equally be angry if someone said they wished my family member were assassinated.

But that wasn't what Coulter said. While the majority of the press ran with "Coulter Wishes Death on Edwards," they were proving once more how anti-anything on the right they are. In fact, Ms. Coulter was commenting on a comment made by uber-leftist Bill Maher when he said he wished "Dick Cheney had been killed in a terrorist attack." Coulter, being a satirist herself, made the comparison, "so I've learned my lesson: If I'm going to say anything about John Edwards in the future, I'll just wish he had been killed in a terrorist assassination plot."

Maybe they felt Mauer was funny when he said his comment. After all, he's a comedian. But really, the only difference between a comedian and a satirist is the venue. It isn't a stretch to understand that Coulter, unlike Mauer, was not wishing harm to Edwards. But in the view of the mainstream media, anything that can make a conservative look evil is front page news. No matter how false it is.

No comments: