Tuesday, November 25, 2008

There have been many wonderful inventions over the past many years that have made life infinitely better and easier. But I have to say, since the creation of the Internet, the greatest of them all is Facebook.

Well, maybe I'm being shallow. But since my transplant 6 years ago, I have been on a quest to reconnect with anyone and everyone who ever meant anything to me in the past. There include former girlfriends, classmates or just acquaintances who passed through my life over the years.

And I have been very successful in this endeavor. Very successful. Of course, it helps that I have moved around so much throughout the years and that I attended schools in different states. Also, through my past work as a youth director, I was involved in many peoples lives.

Now I am not naive enough to think my 100+ Facebook friends is a large number - not when many of my friends boast as many as 1,000 friends. But I can say, without hesitancy, that the vast majority of my Facebook friends are real friends who I have had a real relationship with.

Today, for instance, I found 2 friends who I only knew when we stayed at a Kosher hotel in the mid to late 70's. I mean, I had not heard from these two people for about 30 years! Yet talking to them today felt like the time never past. I guess I feel blessed that not only did they remember me as well, but they were happy to hear from me too.

Another new found friend was a band mate (the band was awful, but he was a real talent) from 22 years ago. Amazingly, he changed not one bit.

Yeah, this Facebook thing is simply amazing. I first signed up because all of my nieces and nephews were there and it gave me an opportunity to keep in touch with them. Then, two of my own kids joined in the fun (the other two aren't old enough). Now, just today, I created a group for my high school alumni (which has been far too long been ignored).

I'm 46 years old and I feel like a kid again. That is just so cool.

2 comments:

said...

Hear! Hear! Facebook represents the same thing for me, and you put it quite well. For the first time I feel I have a tool that will allow me to put my arms around all of the people in my life, from each and every various circle, and its name is Facebook.

Allison said...

Well I am just a little too addicted to facebook these days, but I agree, I love finding all these old people from my past as well!