Saturday, July 04, 2009

Ten Great Songs From One Great Year

Michael Jackson

I really could think of no other list that I would do this week other than this one. Michael Jackson was one of my favorite recording artists when I was a kid and “The Love You Save” was my favorite song of his way back when.

Growing up in the 60’s in Tennessee meant Motown and soul. Unlike my siblings, who formed their musical tastes in the late 50’s and early 60’s rock and roll, I was greatly influenced by such bands as the Temptations, the Four Tops, The Supremes and of course, the Jackson 5.

I do not believe it was a coincidence that I dreamed I was a young, Black girl when I was in my coma. The sounds and styles of the Motown era formed the building blocks of my lifelong love affair with music.

Michael Jackson was a lot of things. But more than anything, he was the soundtrack to a great part of my life. I have never worshipped the man and I found his bizarre behavior, well, bizarre. From what I do know about him, I imagine his childhood was torture and his father, horrible. Perhaps in death, he will finally find peace. In the mean time, we can all find that slice of heaven by just turning on the radio.

In his memory, I have listed the 10 songs of his that have had the most influence and strongest memories for me. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.

The Love You Save

I’ll Be There

Never Can Say Goodbye

Ben

Off The Wall

She’s Out of My Life

The Girl is Mine

Human Nature

Man in the Mirror

Black or White

No comments: