Saturday, September 05, 2009

Ten Great Songs From One Great Year

Shayneblog All-Time Top 100

#81
-#90

Over the years, many of my friends and I have talked about the best songs ever written, or what our favorites were. I think, over the course of this past year, I have shared many of my favorites, as well as yours on this blog.

Now that this is the one-year anniversary of my “Ten Great Songs From One Great Year” list, I decided to open my memories a bit more and allow you to see exactly what the soundtrack of my life sounds like.

Over the next ten weeks, I will countdown my top 100 favorite songs – some hits, some misses – ten each week, until we reach number one. I’m sure some songs will surprise you that they ranked so low, high or even made the list at all (or didn’t). I can promise you that I paid no attention whatsoever to the songs charting success. These are simply my all-time favorite songs.

Here is the second week. To read week one, click here.

#90 Nether Lands – Dan Fogelberg

Until you’ve sat atop a mountain, overlooking a wide valley below, you will not be able to completely appreciate the beauty of this masterpiece. I have, and I have to say it was incredibly inspiring.

#89 Then Came You – Dionne Warwick and the Spinners

The Spinners were one of those bands that always seem to be overlooked. But for 10 years (the decade of the 70’s) this band was consistently churning out hit after hit. This was an early one with help from the wonderfully talented Dionne Warwick.

#88 Talking to the Moon – Don Henley

While “Dirty Laundry” and “Johnny Can’t Read” were the big hits from Henley’s first solo album, this song was the most passionate. Sometimes it felt the moon was the only one listening.

#87 Dreams – The Cranberries

During the three years I lived in Detroit, the Cranberries were at their peak. It seemed apropos that someone I worked with during that time looked a lot like Delores O’Riordan (the lead singer).

#86 Beginnings - Chicago

An early memory was of driving through Birmingham, Alabama in 1969 with my family. For some reason, whenever I hear this song (and Badfinger’s “Day After Day”), I think of that. During that trip, we drove to Biloxi and Gulfport, Mississippi, as well. Two weeks later, both towns were wiped out by Hurricane Camille.

#85 Pleasant Valley Sunday – The Monkees

I was a kid back then, but I do remember the arguments amongst my sibling’s friends – were you a Beatles fan, or a Monkees fan. Nowadays, the argument seems so foolish. But it was real then. This song has always been my favorite by the group.

#84 Count On Me – Jefferson Starship

I guess I was too young to appreciate Jefferson Airplane when they were big. But I was a fan of Jefferson Starship. This song was out during the spring of 1978, when I was 15 and experiencing the freedom of living away from home. Truly the best of times.

#83 Black and White - Jackson Browne

I try not to mix politics with music. While many artists have strong liberal beliefs, their preaching generally puts me off. But for some reason, Browne’s LP – “Balance of Power” – struck a chord in me (pardon the pun). Yeah, it was still too preachy. But he made it sound interesting, too.

#82 Luka – Suzanne Vega

Through this blog, I’ve made the acquaintance of Suzanne Vega, her sister and her friend – all extremely sweet, charming people. While I’ve always loved this song, knowing them has made the experience that much more meaningful. Above all, this is the most powerful song about child abuse I have ever heard.

#81 Fanny (be Tender) – The Bee Gees

Prior to 1975, I was not a real big fan of the Bee Gees. But their “Main Course” LP changed all that. This album was written prior to the disco explosion that seemed to define them. Even today, I can sit and listen to this LP all over again and find so much more that I missed the first 1,000 times.

No comments: