Saturday, October 24, 2009

Ten Great Songs From One Great Year

Shayneblog All-Time Top 100

#11
-#20

Over the years, many of my friends and I have talked about the best songs ever written, or what our favorites were. I think, over the course of this past year, I have shared many of my favorites, as well as yours on this blog.

Now that this is the one-year anniversary of my “Ten Great Songs From One Great Year” list, I decided to open my memories a bit more and allow you to see exactly what the soundtrack of my life sounds like.

Over these ten weeks, I will countdown my top 100 favorite songs – some hits, some misses – ten each week, until we reach number one. I’m sure some songs will surprise you that they ranked so low, high or even made the list at all didn’t). I can promise you that I paid no attention whatsoever to the songs charting success. These are simply my all-time favorite songs.

This is the ninth week.

#100-#91

#90-#81

#80-#71

#70-#61

#60-#51

#50-#41

#40-#31

#30-#21


#20 Here I Am – Air Supply

Wow, I can’t believe this song is 27 years old. It really does seem like yesterday that I was crying over this breakup (it wouldn’t be the last time). Yeah, we were young. But it was devastating, nonetheless.

#19 Rocket Man – Elton John

In the summer of ’72, I went to Atlantic City with my sister and grandparents. He beach was fine, but we stayed in a hotel where the average age of the residents was 75 – and that included my 18-year-old sister and me! But the music was great.

#18 A Hard Day's Night – The Beatles

I don’t know why this was always my favorite Beatles’ song. Maybe it was the innocence of the time. But even though I have listened to them for years, this song still reminds me of then. Way back then. I was only 2-years-old, but my soundtrack was growing.

#17 Crystal Blue Persuasion – Tommy James and the Shondells

Another “period” piece that stuck with me. The song made no sense (unless you were on drugs). But I guess that was the point of the psychedelic era. I really miss those innocent times.

#16 Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond

Neil Diamond played a big role in my soundtrack. He may be just a caricature of himself today, but he was definitely talented. This song takes me back to those summer trips in the car to Florida. I can still remember hearing my brother yell at my sister to stop singing “that stupid song!”

#15 I Won't Hold You Back – Toto

Maybe I loved her, maybe I just wanted to. She was such a pretty and sweet girl, how could I not? But I was young and stupid and I let her go. But she’s happy and has a good life. I do think about her sometimes and wonder “what if”. Sometimes we just don’t understand the ramifications of our decisions and sometimes, we’re too weak to make the right ones.

#14 Telephone Line – Electric Light Orchestra

As talentless as I was, I was in a band in 8th grade. At the time, I was absolutely mesmerized by ELO and their album “A New World Record” and all I wanted to do was emulate the great Jeff Lynne. While I failed miserably, I had the time of my life. Before you laugh, how many of you would have the nerve to sing in front of an audience? My band mate and best friend was Stuart Altman. Just 2 years later, a car accident took his life way too early. It’s been 30 years now and I still miss him every day.

#13 My Cherie Amour - Stevie Wonder

My brother loved this song. I, as a 6-year-old boy, idolized my brother. Plus, this was Stevie Wonder and it was Motown. Perfect.

#12 The Smile Has Left Her Eyes - Asia

Back in ’83, MTV was all the rage. Asia was made for this new venue and we all loved their sound. It climaxed with this video. A month later, the hype of their live concert on MTV (“Asia in Asia”) was unreal. Then the lead singer quit. Although the show went on, it was a joke and the band was no more. It’s a terrible shame when egos get in the way.

#11 The Times of Tour Life – Paul Anka

Let’s see, a song about memories, a commercial about puppy dogs and a 12-year-old emo kid before there was such a thing as emo. Pure gold. I still get choked up when I hear this song. Green Day’s non-version was good, but they couldn’t hold a candle to Paul Anka.

No comments: