Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Xenophobia Has Nothing To Do With It

As you may have noticed, I haven't written much over the past month. Part of that reason is because I've been traveling a lot this summer. I've been back for about a week now, but still have a difficult motivating myself to write. I think there are two reasons for this.

For one thing, life has been a bit overwhelming lately. Between family and social obligations, plus looking for a real job, my time has been limited as of late. The other reason is the following:

There has been so much written about the Ground Zero Mosque that I just don't think I can add anymore to the discussion. The reality is that those who I wish to convince of my point refuse to accept that I am anything but a racist xenophobe. It seems to matter not to them that I have made it perfectly clear that I accept the "right" for them to build wherever they darn well please. Of course, as much as they wish to make this a "First Amendment issue," that amendment does not authorize that a religious group can build whatever structure they want on private property in contravention of local zoning and use laws.

However, my point has always been that if this Imam is building this to bring the community together, he is doing just the opposite by ignoring the 70% who are vehemently opposed.

To me, slapping the very people wish to bring together in peace and harmony in the face is ill-conceived at best.

Of course, when Governor Patterson offered land to move the center away from the area were Moslems, in the name of Allah, murdered 3,000 people, his refusal told us a great deal about his willingness to work with the community. Many people understand that Islam has a dark history of conquest and even the name of the organization that is building this Mosque (Cordoba Initiative) are named for the famous Mosque built over the ruins of the Moslem conquest of Spain. Furthermore, it seems to have escaped those on the left (and some on the right, but not many) that the target date to open this Mosque is September 11, 2011 - exactly 10 years from the day the 3,000 victims of 9/11 were murdered.

A dedication ceremony by a religious group that follows the tenets of a religion that was directly responsible for these murders is beyond insulting to the memory of those who perished, as well as their families.

Of course, there is also the issue of just who this Imam is and where he is getting his backing. Aside from his deeply troubling comments following 9/11, as well as his open admiration for the terror group Hamas (that alone should disqualify him from building a "peace" center), the Imam himself has some very dubious and troubling connections.

With all this weighed in the mix, it is obvious why so many people are against this Mosque being built where it is planned. As far as the xenophobia, I do not recall hearing one conservative say that they have no right to build Mosques. Just this one there.

It's shameful that my liberal friends can not get past their desire to paint us conservatives with this brush of intolerance. By refusing to acknowledge that there may be valid, non-xenophobic reasons for opposing the Mosque, they are once again showing exactly who the intolerant are. It is the same regarding President Obama. The left's constant refrain is that anyone who opposes Obama must be doing so on racial grounds. It couldn't possibly be because he is the most far-left radical President we have had in at least my lifetime, and perhaps ever.

I honestly could care less what color the leader of my country is. As Martin Luther King, Jr. wanted, I care about the content of ones character, rather than the color of their skin. It seems to me, that the left is overly concerned with race and attempt to interject it at every chance they get.

The shame is, the more they play this race card, the more hollow and meaningless it becomes.

All I can say to my liberal friends is please take off the blinders and realize that Keith Olbermann (or whomever you get your news from) is crazy. I don't know if it's a matter of the left projecting, or if they have just been so brainwashed to believe the right is the true enemy. We clearly disagree in a great many things and I recognize that we all have our own strong opinions. But calling us racists, xenophobes, homophobes or whatever you call us, just makes you look foolish and convinces no one of the value of your points.

That's my rant.

No comments: