Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Yoo-hoo, I'm Back!

Well maybe my long break from blogging has run it's course. Over the past few months, I have toyed with the idea of just shutting this thing down, perhaps blogging under a pseudonym or changing the entire focus of my writing. But something I read tonight reinvigorated my desire to start writing again. It doesn't really matter what it was I read. But it lit the fire that I had believed had gone out.

Instead of writing about any particular topic tonight, I thought I would reintroduce myself and explain why I started this blog in the first place.

A little over 8 years ago, I suffered a massive heart attack that eventually led to a stroke (minor), a 4 week coma and a subsequent heart transplant. Upon beginning my recovery, I discovered a couple of things about myself. Number one, I no longer felt a desire to compromise what I truly believed in, for the sake of other's sensitivities. No, I wasn't about to go beat up on people over their beliefs. However, I decided instead to verbalize what I believed, in the hopes that it would influence and open the eyes of others who either didn't know, or didn't understand.

Another thing I realized was that I loved writing. Never before had I had any affinity to see my words published. But upon receiving this gift of a new life, I became motivated, inspired or whatever you wish to call it, to create. I always wanted to be a musician - or even a lyricist (my sister has that talent). But I was never talented enough to succeed in those endeavors. But suddenly, I discovered I did have a gift. Perhaps I'm never going to be another Jeffery Archer, or Thomas Sowell. But do you really have to aspire to be the best? Can't you just hope to make a difference - even if it's just a tiny one?

Look, I know that my political, sociological and religious views are not the same as everyone else. If they were, there would be no point in any of this. But if I can help just one person to see the world as I see it, and to motivate them to try and make even a small difference themselves, then I can really feel I've made a difference. So what if it takes me 8 years to accomplish what Michelle Malkin does in 30 minutes (by the way, she rocks!). I bet she didn't go through what I went through, either.

So my blog, which really has been consistent since it started back in 2004, is all about what I believe and what I want to say. You don't have to follow it, nor do you have to even agree with me. All I ask is you accept and appreciate the honesty that is embedded in each of my posts. They could be about politics, Israel, the Dallas Cowboys or even American Idol (assuming I'll continue watching). Or it could be about my job as a new restaurant manager, or even the local Chicago weather.

Whatever it is, it is and will continue to be for as long as I am capable of writing it. I make no excuses or apologies about and I refuse to hold my tongue for fear of being politically incorrect. Hypocrisy abounds nowadays and if I can stop one tiny bit of it from spreading, then I truly can say I've made a difference.

So I do hope you'll forgive my absence and indulge and support me. I look forward to feedback and hope I can make something out of my little corner of the blogosphere.

1 comment:

said...

Good luck with your re-dedication to your blog, Shayne. Of course, I will continue to follow, and often I will disagree (though far more often I expect to just shake my head as if something is rattling around loose inside), and I will always be glad that your voice is still among us.

So just to get this restart moving along at the right clip... Michelle Malkin? Rocks? Well, in the bedroom, perhaps (she is quite the looker), but I don't imagine you meant that. Does she sideline as a musical performer? I could actually see that, because this is one person who most definitely SHOULD quite their day job. :-)

Welcome back!