Monday, July 23, 2007

Since I have a lot of catching up to do, I'm going to start with my latest edition of Shayne's Truisms...

1. The Chicago newspapers should stop playing games and announce that they support Obama for King of the World already. It can't get any more obvious than it is now.

2. I was not only NOT disappointed in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows, I consider it the perfect ending to the perfect series. Even the fact that I always suspected the truth about Snape didn't deter me one minute from reading with rapt pleasure and attention.

3. Will anyone really care in the future whether or not Bud Selig attends the game in which Barry Bonds breaks Hank Aaron's record?

4. Bonds may or may not be guilty and he may or may not deserve to hold such a distinguished record. But regardless, he is one hell of a ballplayer. Ty Cobb wasn't much liked either, but everyone respected his talent.

5. Bonds breaking the record is not a tragedy. Michael Vick being allowed to suit up for the Falcons' season opener is.

6. I find it refreshing that no one - white or black - is calling Vick a victim of racial abuse. The only think I'd dislike Vick more for would be if he were a Redskin. But had he been white, I'd still want him to suffer for his crimes.

7. Has anyone else noticed that since 1970, when it was concluded that all the American Educational system needed was more money, we have spend a considerably larger amount of money than any other nation, yet our schools continue to fail? Is it possible money isn't the problem?

8. For those of you who truly believe that Senators Boxer and Feinstein are right and that Congress should pass the "Fairness Doctrine", would you accept an opposing viewpoint by Michael Savage on NPR?

Or does the "Fairness Doctrine" only work for liberals?

9. The story of Harry Potter, especially book 5 - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - reminds me quite a bit of the current situation here is America. On one side, you have a Democratic congress downplaying the existence of evil in the world and ridiculing the very idea. In the mean time, those who are taking it very seriously have to do so almost in hiding so not to be punished by the mainstream press. All the while, the evil builds caring not whether people ignore it or not.

10. I've really never been one to hold a grudge and I find that I forgive very easily. But there are things that can be said to me and/or about me - often untrue - that can never be forgiven nor forgotten. Not that this matters. But it is a shame when someone assumes the worse without even bothering to consider the other possibilities - especially when other possibilities are right in front of them.

No comments: