Sunday, September 16, 2007

This story really upsets me.

A high school football coach hit a 7-year-old kid with his car as the child was riding his bike in Muskogee, Oklahoma, on Thursday. Although the child was not critically injured, he did sustain a broken collarbone, road rash on a leg and shoulder and a knot on his head.

According to the police, the coach didn't see the boy until he darted out between two cars.

Okay, accidents happen, right?

But get this report from the Muskogee Phoenix, the local newspaper:


According to Capt. Chad Farmer, of the Muskogee Police Department, “He (Hennesy - the coach) did stop. He did call a parent. He did get him medical treatment with a trainer,” Farmer said. “But he didn’t call us.”

When contacted by the Phoenix, Hennesy’s response was “I ought to be dealing with tomorrow night’s game — not this crap.”

Hennesy said he was leaving Indian Bowl when the collision happened. “I was leaving the stadium when this kid ran into the front of my car,” he said. “It was the kid’s fault.”
What a guy!

This turd is a football coach. For a living he is paid to set an example to children (a teenager is still a child). Turning an injured 7-year-old - WHO HE HIT WITH A CAR - over to a "trainer" is unbelievably irresponsible. First of all, what is a trainer going to do for him? Tape him up? The a-hole didn't even bother to call the police!

From where I come from, that's called "leaving the scene of an accident." Of course, in Muskegee, where high school football is second only to Jesus, it's no wonder the coach wasn't arrested. The police chief (I would not be surprised if his name was Cletus) probably blames the kid as well. You just know that if the team loses the next game, the whole town will blame the damn kid for getting in the coaches way and upsetting his concentration.

“I ought to be dealing with tomorrow night’s game — not this crap.” I don't care how many games this bastard wins. To me, he's a loser.

Speaking of losers, the more I think about the punishment Bill Belichick received, the angrier I get.

For one thing, I don't buy the excuse that "everybody does it." If that were an excuse then you can use it for baseball's steroid cheaters as well.

Secondly, I find that the punishment was far too light. OK, a half-mil is a nice sum of money but it isn't the money that bothers me either. What really gnaws at me is that Cowboys quarterback coach Wade Wilson was suspended for 5 games for using steroids to treat impotence. According to all reports, he was not sharing it or giving it out. He informed the league as to why he was taking it and why he needed it.

However, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell felt that as a coach, Wilson must be above reproach and Goodell made an example of him.

Now, here comes along Bill Belichick caught cheating and not only is he not suspended 5 games, but he isn't even forced to miss one game.

If I were a conspiracy theorist (which I'm not), I would be very suspicious. As far as I'm concerned - and I'm not saying this as a Patriot-hater, or out of jealousy of their recent Super Bowl success - but if it were up to me, I'd have suspended him 5 games and turned their last game (a victory over the Jets) into a forfeited loss. According to the NFL rulebook, the Commissioner has the right to do just that.

The reason I would come down so hard on Belichick is not because I want to set an example. It's because he was already warned twice - last year after a win against the Packers, and along with all the other clubs prior to the season.

Belichick is an outstanding coach. But if he has been cheating all along, you have to begin to wonder how much of his success is valid.

BTW, my predictions for tomorrow:

Dallas over Miami, 27-10. Chicago over Kansas City, 20-6, San Diego over New England, 24-20 and in the upset of the week, Tennessee will defeat Indianapolis, 20-17.

No comments: