Saturday, August 29, 2009

Before posting my weekly top 10 list, I wanted to thank everyone again who voted for their favorite "Sad Song". This week, I received 16 votes with "Even Now" by Barry Maniilow and Billy Vera and the Beaters "At This Moment" tied, with 3 votes each.

I'm going to suspend the polling until I complete my top 100, beginning this week. However, I would love to hear from you if you have any special top 10 lists you would like me to write.

Ten Great Songs From One Great Year

Shayneblog All-Time Top 100

Over the years, many of my friends and I have talked about the best songs ever written, or what our favorites were. I think, over the course of this past year, I have shared many of my favorites, as well as yours on this blog.

Now that this is the one-year anniversary of my “Ten Great Songs From One Great Year” list, I decided to open my memories a bit more and allow you to see exactly what the soundtrack of my life sounds like.

Over the next ten weeks, I will countdown my top 100 favorite songs – some hits, some misses – ten each week, until we reach number one. I’m sure some songs will surprise you that they ranked so low, high or even made the list at all (or didn’t). I can promise you that I paid no attention whatsoever to the songs charting success. These are simply my all-time favorite songs.

I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I did writing it.

#100 Sweet Pea – Tommy Roe

This was my very first favorite song. I was only 2, but I’m told I sang this song over and over until my siblings were driven mad (that does explain some things).

#99 Without Me – Eminem

I never cared for rap and I can only stomach some of Eminem’s music. But I have to admit; this song (and the video) is great!

#98 The Red Strokes – Garth Brooks

I remember watching the “This Is Garth Brooks” special on NBC one night in early ’92. When he performed Billy Joel’s “Shameless” with such passion and emotion, I knew I was hooked for life.

#97 Tweeter and the Monkey Man – The Traveling Wilburys

George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, Roy Orbison and Bob Dylan walk in to a bar…

#96 You Can't Change That - Ray Parker Jr. & Raydio

She was a 14-year-old cutie and I’ll never forget that special night, kissing on the beach (no, I wasn’t in my 20’s yet!)

#95 Do You Remember? – Phil Collins

Such sadness, such despair. I always regret when a rock icon sells out to his softer side. But for one song, I’ll give Phil Collins a pass.

#94 Georgy Girl – The Seekers

Another old memory. I went shopping with my mom late one day in Knoxville; looking for the toy I desperately wanted. We didn’t stop till we found it.

#93 Interstate Love Song - Stone Temple Pilots

I spent 3 years trying to figure out who sang this song and what it was called. Living in Detroit in the mid 90’s gave me a new perspective in the day’s music scene. This was among the best.

#92 Magic – Pilot

The summer of your 13th birthday means your no longer a kid, and not yet a man. I felt like a kid until I met Laura P. in Miami Beach. Now I was a man (in my brain, anyway).

#91 Real Men – Joe Jackson

Moving to New York (and college) introduced me to different sights and sounds. My roommate introduced me to Joe Jackson. Thanks, YAG.

Next week --- #81 - #90!

No comments: