Saturday, September 26, 2009

Ten Great Songs From One Great Year

Shayneblog All-Time Top 100

#51
-#60

Over the years, many of my friends and I have talked about the best songs ever written, or what our favorites were. I think, over the course of this past year, I have shared many of my favorites, as well as yours on this blog.

Now that this is the one-year anniversary of my “Ten Great Songs From One Great Year” list, I decided to open my memories a bit more and allow you to see exactly what the soundtrack of my life sounds like.

Over the next ten weeks, I will countdown my top 100 favorite songs – some hits, some misses – ten each week, until we reach number one. I’m sure some songs will surprise you that they ranked so low, high or even made the list at all didn’t). I can promise you that I paid no attention whatsoever to the songs charting success. These are simply my all-time favorite songs.

This is the fifth week.

#100-#91

#90-#81

#80-#71

#70-#61

#60 Conquistador – Procul Harem

I can’t tell you when I first heard this song. But I do know I always loved it. The Spanish flavor and the intense violin made it stick in mind for all these years. I couldn’t find the original video that they made (I think it was made in the ‘90s). But this one is pretty intense as well.

#59 Sauvecito – Malo

This is one of those summer songs from the ‘70s. Just sit back, close your eyes and drift along to where the waves will carry you.

#58 The Last Resort – The Eagles

I don’t even know where to begin. I loved the Eagles’ “Hotel California” album for many reasons. For one thing, the individual songs (and artists) simply flow into one another like a symphony. Not one track disappoints and each song is a classic into itself. Living in California in the late 70’s gave me a new perspective on the album and the entire concept, as well.

#57 Since You've Asked – Dan Fogelberg

This is one of the most beautiful compositions ever written (it was composed by Judy Collins). It was so meaningful to me that it was the song heard at the beginning of my wedding video. But don’t let that be a detractor.

#56 Remember the Feeling - Chicago

Chicago 17 was a huge comeback for the band and the songs from it dominted the airwaves through 1984. While this was only an album track (and not released as a single), it was the best song on the album. It may have also been the finest song Peter Cetera ever composed.

#55 Rose of Cimarron – Poco

An epic tale that never made much sense to me as a child, but when I learned it’s meaning it made me love it even more. According to Rusty Young, who wrote it, “This song told a story of a woman who took in outlaws in the 1800's. She fed them, mended their wounds and sent them on their way.” The song clearly reflects the style and mood of the lyric.

#54 All for Leyna – Billy Joel

Sailing on a houseboat on Lake Shasta, in the summer of 1980, singing at the top of our lungs. At that moment, we would be 17 forever.

#53 You Can Have Me Anytime - Boz Scaggs

Boz Scaggs had always had a way to touch my heart. His ballads are things of beauty and genius. I dedicated this song to my wife many years ago, but it took someone new to make me love Boz all over again.

#52 Kiss of Life – Gerry Beckley

Never in my life was I more conflicted than in the fall of 1998. The birth of my twins was one of my happiest moments. But the death of my dad was one of the saddest. I wish I could have given him a kiss of life. The rock band AMERICA (Gerry Beckley is one of the members of the band) has always had a way to bring out the emotions – happy and sad - in me. 11 years since Dad passed, I still choke up when I think of him.

#51 Come On Eileen – Dexy's Midnight Runners

In contrast, one of my favorite memories was of 1983, my year in college in New York. The girls were great, being a DJ was great and the music was great. If not for having to actually go to school, it would have been wonderful all the way around.

No comments: