Monday, January 11, 2010

News & Notes

1. Harry Reid Called Obama Light-skinned With 'No Negro Dialect'

I wonder if Trent Lott can take his job back now. After all, Reid was instrumental in Lott's fall from grace after he was accused of making a racist comment (it wasn't as bad and only the left inferred it was racist). Reid, at the time, commented, "If you tell ethnic jokes in the backroom, it's that much easier to say ethnic things publicly. I've always practiced how I play."

Well, the rules only change for the Democrats, don't they? I doubt the MSM will even cover this story - certainly not like they did when Lott was forced out. But Weasel Zippers has a rundown on who the racist party really is.

UPDATE: Six Meat Buffet reminded me of the brouhaha over Rush Limbaugh's comments about Donovan McNabb:

“Sorry to say this, I don’t think [Donovan McNabb] been that good from the get-go,” Limbaugh said. “I think what we’ve had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn’t deserve. The defense carried this team.”

And that probably cost Limbaugh a chance to own the St. Louis Rams. Man oh man - it turns out Rush was right on the money. It wasn't a racist comment, it was the truth. McNabb is a good quarterback, but has been highly overrated for many years. Now, he probably payed his last game for the Eagles because he can seem to be good enough.

2. Barack Obama Musical to Kick off in Frankfurt

Springtime for Obama?

3. 30 Years of Global Cooling Are Coming, Leading Scientist Says

Someone I know (no names please - I want to keep my job) told me that this cements the proof that Global Warming is fact. I'd like some of what he's smoking.

Wait, will it turn me into a brain-dead liberal? Never mind, then.

4. Mark McGwire Admits to steroid use

At first, I thought this was no big deal. Aside from the fact that everyone already knew he was a user, I figured the since pitchers were using also, it equals out. But then, I thought about it some more and I considered the plight of players who were clean, but were passed over for honors, and even jobs, by cheaters. How much money did these clean players lose because guys like Big Mac beefed himself up illegally?

But then again, I really blame us (the fans). As Kathy Bates said (in the TV movie "The Late Shift"), "you want the steak, but you don't want to know how I killed the cow." We wanted home runs and we wanted the Sammy Sosa - Mark McGwire summer of '98. We pay for the players hugely unfair salaries because we want our towns and our teams to "represent."

I'm not saying we ware wrong. Just that we enabled, and that's almost as bad.

5. Nancy Pelosi and others flew for free to Copenhagen Climate Junket

Besides the fact that this country is going bankrupt and can ill afford the millions of dollars this ridiculous trip cost us, the taxpayers, just how much carbon did these elitists use? I don't believe the science is settled, regarding climate change. But for those who do (and apparently, these donkeys do), how can you justify the utter waste by flying three 737's, two military cargo jets and all those commercial airline miles?

The most ethical congress ever? That should be "never."

6. "Avatar" causing viewers to contemplate suicide

Oh, come on. Personally, I think if someone is suicidal after watching a make-believe movie, there is something far more disturbing about the person that they are possibly unaware. Get a grip.

As Nora Dunn used to say (on "Saturday Night Live"), "LOOK AT YOURSELF!"

7. NFL Divisional Playoffs

It should be noted that back in September, when I did my annual predictions, I never expected that I would have been so accurate. But I picked 7 of the 8 division winners correctly and also 5 of the 8 teams still in it. It's even possible that Dallas, the team I picked to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl (which a number of you criticized - saying that not only would they not be in the big game, but likely wouldn't even make the playoffs) will go all the way. I could have been 8 for 8 in the standings had Indianapolis and Cincinnati not rested their starters the last two weeks of the season.

8. Students, fans greet Kiffin with obscenities

Maybe USC is his "dream job." But how does a man preach the importance of attending your college, where you will fit right into his system, and then run out the door the minute a better offer comes along? In college athletics - especially football and basketball - the coach is like a father to these young man.

If Kiffin had been there 4 or 5 years, then I understand he made his mark on these young kids ans sometimes it is time to follow your dream. But he'd only been in Knoxville ONE SEASON.

It's like marrying your pretty girlfriend. You spend all your first year assuring her that you want to build a future together and can't imagine being anywhere else. Not only that, after a year, life has improved for you and her and you are so looking forward to many, many more years to come.

All of the sudden, your old high school girfriend - all mature and HOT - shows up and tells you she wants to get back together. Some people would say "no, I made a commitment and I wish to see it through." Others might say, "it's tempting, give me time to think about it."

But Lane Kiffin is out the door before the white picket fence was even finished being painted. UT will get over the rejection and everyone in Tennessee will remember what a two-timing louse Kiffin was. But the players he recruited and bought into the program are still impressionable young men, who now feel betrayed.

Yes, UT will get over it. But the stink eminating from the Kiffin household will linger like so many broken dreams and promises.

Just remember USC, he was quick out the door for you. He will be just as quick for someone better one day. Time for me to root for UCLA.

9. Writer's block

I don't haz it anymore.

No comments: