Saturday, April 24, 2010

American Idol Preview
Top Six

What should have been a boring show, considering that it was "inspirational night" turned out to have some very fine moments. So without further ado, let's get to this weeks list:

6. Aaron Kelley (last week #7) -- Aaron's unoriginality is going to get him tossed this week. He really has an exceptional voice for a 16-year-old and had he waited a year or two to mature, he may well have been a finalist down the road. R. Kelly's monster hit, "I Believe I Can Fly" has been beaten to death on Idol and really is a song most people get sick of after a few listens. Aaron has one thing going for him this week, which may keep his Idol hopes alive - at least for another week - and that's the fact that this week's theme is the music of Shania Twain. As the only country-style voice left, he has an opportunity to really shine. But unless he takes some chances, he won't get past the week.

5. Michael Lynche (last week #5) -- Big Mike proved last week that he deserved to stay, after performing Mariah Carey's "Hero." When it was first announced that he was doing this song, I cringed. Mariah is one of those artists that the judges often warn against using. But Mike pulled it off, as he changed it up a bit and made it sound believable. I still believe he has a limited fan base and I don't think he will make it through the top 4, at best.

4. Casey James (last week #4) -- Casey took two steps back this week, when he performed Fleetwood Mac's "Don't Stop." I admire that he went with a fast melody (and stayed away from the syrup past inspirational weeks have given us). But I really think he not only picked the wrong song, but did nothing to it in order to make it stand out. This was the complaint Kara and Simon had been making before he wowed everybody with "Jealous Guy." Another regression and he, too, could be facing the exit sign this week.

3. Siobhan Mangus (last week #2) -- Siobhan falls this week to number three, not because of anything she did, but because Lee Dewyze was amazing. Siobhan hits notes that mere mortals can only sit in wonder. However, I really believe she gets undue criticism from the judges, due to her walking to her own drumbeat. Personally, I love that about her and I vote for her on a weekly basis. I thought "When You Believe" was done exceptionally well. The judges comments that she is no "Mariah or Whitney" was uncalled for, when you consider that, for one thing, neither is Mike (who performed a Mariah song" and number two, she samg the song flawlessly.

2. Lee Dewyze (last week #3) -- Lee just keeps getting better and better. "The Boxer" was an inspired choice and although he flubbed the order of the verses (causing the meaning to be confusing), he sang it with tremendous passion. It does seem that Lee is still very unsure just how good, and popular, he is. I think one thing that's going to keep him as, at best, runner up, is his lack of confidence. But the dude can sing and can give Crystal a run for her money.

1. Crystal Bowersox (last week #3) -- Once again, Crystal had the best performance of the night. What made it even better was that she went on stage vulnerable, without a guitar or piano, and then proceeded to move the crowd with her heart-wrenching rendition of the Impressions "People Get Ready." She didn't even need to cry at the end to make it work. But that added emotion just cemented her front runner status (if she wasn't already).

Now I have a few issues I'd like to take up with the Idol powers that be. For one thing, PLEASE remove the sway-bots. Watching them move their arms - out of rhythm, must add - to every freaking song is really getting on my nerves.

Secondly, if you must make the finalists sing an opening number, do you think you can make them do it without lip-syncing? It's almost comical and as long as it continues, I won't watch the commercials that are advertised following them (I'll have changed the channel).

While I like the humor Ellen adds to the panel, it's obvious they only need three judges there. For one thing, I don't think Ellen has disagreed with anything Randy said and furthermore, it takes up time that could be given to the contestants to actually sing a full song. I have to admit, Kara has done a much better job critiquing this year. But she needs to either be a "sex kitten" or a "rocker." Trying both, week after week, is just not right.

And lastly, please ask Randy to stop booing Simon every time his name is mentioned. Really, grow up already. It's getting annoyingly old.

So that's my list for this week. If you have anything to add, or would like to tell me why I'm completely off my rocker, please leave me a comment.

No comments: